Halloween Safety Tips for Pets
Halloween is a fun and exciting holiday for children and adults alike; but for some pets it is a night full of anxiety and worry, toxic treats, and run away attempts. In this article we will go over some tips and and treats to be mindful of to keep your pets safe on this fun filled night.
A lot of animals have anxiety when it comes to seemingly simple things such as the door bell ringing, kids coming up to the door, people talking outside and even strangers walking by the front of the house. Combine that with the strangers looking like something that your babies can not comprehend or recognize and you have a recipe for extra fear and anxiety.
What you as a pet owner can do to limit the worry your pet may have is to keep them away from these areas that cause them anxiety. For instance: putting them in a room on the opposite side of the house that is quiet and calm may decrease the anxiety of your pet.
You can also try putting a baby gate up by the part of the house where the animal cannot escape from unless moving the gate.
Some animals become so anxious by all the sights and sound that they react by running away and/or hiding. If your pet has been known to have anxiety issues, add on stress from trick-or-treaters and they could get spooked enough to make a run for the door.
In cases like these identification along with a registered microchip is crucial to making sure your pet gets home! Making sure you animal is easily and properly identifiable with your Address, Name, and Contact Number along with your pet's name in key!
We all love to indulge in Halloween candy but these treats can cause more harm than good if ingested by your pets! Chocolate toxicity is very common on Halloween and if not caught early enough can be deadly.
During the week of Halloween, calls to the veterinarians at Pet Poison Helpline increase by 12 percent, making it the call center’s busiest time of year. “Each year we experience a sharp increase in calls around Halloween, especially during the weekends surrounding the holiday,” said Ahna Brutlag, DVM, MS, assistant director at Pet Poison Helpline. (Source: petpoisonhelpline.com)
If your pet has consumed chocolate and/or you begin to see signs of vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, increase in drinking and urinating, seizures, muscle spasms, pacing, hyperactivity and panting go to the nearest emergency hospital as soon as possible.
Often the chocolate is discarded, but wrappers are left around the house, so don't forget to clean up ALL candy wrappers! Ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers can cause a life-threatening bowel obstruction, which if severe, can require surgical intervention to correct.
Watch for vomiting, decreased appetite, not defecating, straining to defecate, or lethargy. X-rays may be necessary to diagnose this problem.
We hope EVERYONE has a safe and happy Halloween and hopefully can take preventative measures to make sure our pets are safe and happy too! If something does happen, remember (especially when ingesting something they shouldn't) It’s always easier, less expensive, and safer for your pet to be treated earlier, versus when he/she’s showing severe symptoms.
~ If you think your pet has been poisoned immediately call:
Animal Poison Control | (888) 426-4435
Animal Poison Control Center| 855-764-7661